Saturday, November 1, 2014

Chapter 10 Blog


In the Supreme Court case, Bush v. Gore, I think there should have been a recount allowed, because even though the Court ruled in Bush’s favor that it would have violated his equal protection right, I think it violated Gore’s equal protection right by not allowing the recount. I do not think that a recount would have violated Bush’s equal protection right, because with the recount, he may have still won the election.

Yes, I think the ability to fundraise is too important in elections; good candidates are prevented from running, because they cannot raise the funds they need. I witnessed firsthand this problem in action when my uncle ran for sheriff. He did not have the funds, so he relied on the money he raised. The person he was running against had more money to contribute to their campaign; so therefore, his opponent had his name seen more than my uncle. I think something should be done to fix this problem. Maybe like a maximum amount that candidates can put forth in their campaigns should be put in to affect, so people who do not have access to numerous funds can have a fair chance.

I do not really have an answer for why there is low voter turnout for elections, other than what excuses I have heard and my theory. Most of the excuses I have heard is that people do not have time or they do not care enough to vote, but my theory is that for today’s youth, there is not an emphasis on voting. Yes, they are taught that it is their right and duty as an American citizen to vote, but other than that, they are not taught or told that they need or should vote.
I commented on the blogs of Robert Johnson, Mathew Cooper, and Katelyn Dozier.

4 comments:

  1. I certainly agree with your opinions about why people don't vote. I feel some people don't vote because they are told by certain candidates that they will do something and then fail to do it. Some people just make certain promises to make themselves look good and then not follow up on what they promised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the votes should of been counted but with fairness toward both candidates. I also think fund raising is good to an extent but they go way overboard with this as well. The reason there are lower voting is because the young people don't use their right to vote.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all three of your points. The one I agree on most is your third point. I think that the younger generation does not care that they have an opinion in the matter. That lets the people that do vote take advantage of that. I think the younger generation needs to realize just how important there opinion is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a shame that the people with the most money and most funds are able to get better exposure than the people who do not. I will agree that there are many people who are extremely qualified to run for a political office but are not able to get their name in from of the voters as readily as others.
    Great viewpoint on todays young voters. My grandparents are constantly telling me to go out and vote and I believe that I should; however, there are many younger people who don’t share that same goal. Many think that it’s not important or they don’t have time and that’s sad.

    ReplyDelete