Sunday, October 5, 2014

Chapter 6 Blog


I think the news media is too dependent upon polls; almost everything they report they “confirm” or “disprove” with the results of the polls they create, but I do think it is appropriate for them to create and report them. I do not think the results they report will change the way people view issues. The results from these polls are unreliable, because they are biased. I think polls the news media creates have the potential to be beneficial if they were not biased. Political party identification is not really important to me nor am I really involved in politics, but it is/was more important to my parents and grandparents. Although it is/was more important to them, they are not fully involved either. My friends and I never really talk about politics, so I would say it is less important to them. I think my views on politics are influenced more by social issues. My views on personal choice are stronger than any of my views on the economy, even though the economy does need a substantial amount of work. Therefore, even though I do not really identify as either political party, I would say that through my views I would be more of a Democrat.




I commented on the blogs of Katelyn Dozier, Lee Ellison, and Mathew Cooper.

4 comments:

  1. Me and my friends dont discuss politics. The reason your probably friends is because you do not discuss politics. Politics is one thing that friends dont talk about because its to easy to spark a all out brawl just by stating someones party affiliation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the polls are unreliable because they are biased. With the lack of detailed information that goes into a poll, it can make it out like most of the people in the US are Christian or Atheist, all it would have to do is generalize all denominations of Christianity as Christian, all other religions as "Other," and all undetermined as "Atheist." Then, in that simple generalized form the media could push Buddhism, Islam, Jewish, Hindu, etc. into one category and in actuality, there is huge differences between all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the polls to an extent. I think media gets too outside the truth sometimes. If polls are accurate they could help with a lot of important issues we face today.As far as political party choice I really just go with who I think is out for the people not so much politics.My friends don't talk about politics but my parents are firm democrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too agree that the polls are unreliable as well mainly because of the bias on what they are trying to communicate. It's challenging to really understand what the motives are and that's why I believe it's not appropriate to really have them create news upon polls that they create which will be biased since a majority of the people watching are the demograph they are looking to pander to.

    ReplyDelete