Saturday, September 13, 2014

Chapter 3 Blog


The national government and state governments should have somewhat equal power. Federalism is all about balancing power and decreasing the chance of tyranny, so the national government should have just enough power to mandate the states. Although, the issues that concern the nation as a whole, like health care and minimum wage, should be left to the national government to solve, but other issues that differentiate among the states or only concern only a few states, like education and poverty, should be left to the states to manage.

National power increased during the Great Depression because the entire nation’s economy was deteriorating, mostly because up until then, the economy was never really a priority. The shift in power happened because voters in the 1960s began to display wariness about powers of the national government. The shift was necessary, because the national government had finished the job of stimulating the economy. Therefore the power of the national government could lessen and give states more authority.

Education is a matter better left to the states, because states can get a better understanding of how students are preforming. States are able to see what needs to change for the better of their students. If the national government regulated education it would set standards that some state’s students might not be able to meet.
 
I commented on the blogs of Robert Johnson, Nikki Stair, and Katelyn Dozier.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that if the Federal Government has control completely over the education system then somethings between the States would become impossible to regulate. Say like what constituted the amount of free days to take off. Here in TN with the snow days they have an estimated amount needed to regulate that, but California doesn't need that where it rarely ever snows, and Michigan for example might need more days free.
    However, I do think that there has to be some federal regulation because, having went to most of my schooling in California, I can state as a fact that the California public system doesn't work. It's too closed minded and state testing regulating. They spend so much state tax money on the education system there, and it just doesn't work. They subsidize community colleges there and because of that no one can get classes. My boyfriend who lives there went to the same comm. college for 3 years and only got about 20 transferable units because he had to wait for an appointment date to get classes, just to have them filled up already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you put it makes a lot of sense. i thought both. I am not sure now. The education should be a combined effort from both I feel.

    ReplyDelete